Monday, June 17, 2013

New Week, New Challenges


Today we were able to get extra rest before heading off to devotions and teacher training. If I could absorb and apply all the things they have said, it would be great, but for some reason it comes harder than it sounds. The tips on working with a translator was very practical though.

Setting up went smoothly and supper was great. Then the children started arriving and it was CI in full swing.


The night went good and my children all knew English so the lesson was not totally dependent on translation, but was definitely understood better when translated.


I also got to act tonight and had a lot of fun trying to act like someone I never heard of. Acting for me on this trip started out with a lot of reservations, but I have come to enjoy the challenge and make the most out of it. (Seeing the children enjoy the lesson through drama makes it a blessing)

Yesterday the view of the many islands scattered along the way made my heart turn to God in thanks and awe at the beauty of his creation. "What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" Psalm 8:3

At immigration I forgot my passport at the visa counter, Aah, but thanks to one of the team I had it back before I knew I lost it. :-) In Indonesia, cars, motorbikes, and people are just about everywhere using lots of disorganized driving.

This whole trip has really stretched me in different ways. Getting to know people from many backgrounds, and being able to accept them where they are at, and yet seeing them all striving to walk in obedience to God. Direction is so much more important than position.

- Matthew checks out a durian -

I really enjoyed trying all the different new foods and seeing how many I actually liked. I have also really enjoyed the many group devotions with there deep applications to my life and the encouragement to do more, dig deeper, and apply God's truth.

“What is the Passion of my life? Defining passion ten different ways and seeing if God is my passion, if not, then why not?” My prayer is that God would help me change and make my passion Him and His Passion.


As for teaching the CI it has been a lot of fun. I have found both struggles and joy dealing with shy, rowdy, old, and young children. I often wonder if the children are enjoying the large group as much as I am. It has really stretched me preparing lessons, and delivering them on a child's level, and am really excited about the experience it has given me to use after I return home.

As I look ahead at the rest of this week, the thought of working through a translator on top of my feeble efforts to teach makes me hesitant. But I am sure God will provide new grace to face whatever may come in the future. 

-------------------------------------------

“My grace is sufficient for thee, for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

------------------------------------------


Matthew Glick
Team Member from USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...